Sunday, April 14, 2013

Interview with Author Mark Carver



 Mark Carver
Author of Age of Appolyon



Tell us a little bit about yourself. 
I'm an American currently living in China with my wife and son (with another baby due next month). I teach English classes at a Chinese university. My interests include art, tattoos, heavy metal, cathedrals, a cold beer, and of course, reading and writing.
Tell us about your writing. What genre(s) do you specialize in?
I've been writing stories of all kinds since I was a little kid, but I've always been drawn to sci-fi, action/adventure, and horror. I like to infuse all the elements that I enjoy reading into my own writing. I'm a sucker for intense dramatic atmosphere and melodrama, and I try to make my writing moody and engrossing. My first book, The Age of Apollyon, came out last fall, and it's the beginning of a trilogy about what could happen after Satan reveals himself to the world. The sequel Black Sun was released just a couple months ago.



Who are your favorite authors?
My primary diet is classics. I rarely pick up a book that is less than one hundred years old, though I do enjoy some modern authors (moreso as I've begun my writing journey). Anything from the Gothic, American Romantic, and Victorian eras suit me just fine, but I also enjoy intense psychological stories, regardless of genre or era. Lord of the Flies by William Golding is my favorite book.

What inspires you to write?
I like writing what I would want to read. I get most of my inspiration from music and movies. I am a very visual writer and I try to replicate what I see in my mind through words. I listen to a lot of bombastic music like death and doom metal, and this helps put me in the mood to write. I love action movies that are explosive and over-the-top, so I seek to combine rip-roaring action with atmospheric creepiness. Of course, when I write in other genres, my inspiration changes as well.

Describe your writing process.
The time of day doesn't matter, but I prefer to be alone, either at home or in my office. However, living in China and raising a toddler has enabled me to function without peace and quiet, so I can pretty much write anywhere and anytime. I usually listen to heavy metal music when I write. I find my best bursts of creativity happen after I've watched a TV program or movie.

Any upcoming projects?
Right now I am putting the finishing touches on my third novel, due out in late spring/early summer. It's called Indelible, and it's a story about a man who designs fantasy weapons. He makes a drastic but seemingly insignificant choice in his life, but it changes everything in a big way. There's nothing supernatural or fantastic, but it's still a pretty intense story about how people perceive themselves and others around them. After I get done with this, I'll just back into the Gothic stuff and write the final book in The Age of Apollyon Trilogy. I have a few more ideas in my head that are just waiting to pop out. I'm pretty good about keeping a steady writing rhythm, so I hope to crank out at least one book a year.

Where can we find you online?

Official website: http://markcarverbooks.blogspot.com

On Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Mark-Carver/e/B008R3AZKC/ref=ntt_athr_dp_pel_1

Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/ageofapollyon

Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/6152317.Mark_Carver

You can add me as a friend on Facebook too!

No comments:

Post a Comment